Saturday 26 May 2012

Chinese night, number 1

This should be number four, but since I haven't blogged the others yet, it's one!
We love Chinese food, and I'll always have a soft spot for the overly greasy Singapore noodles, and incredibly salty chicken satay from the takeaway, but home made tastes so much better, and whilst not healthy exactly, at least I know what's gone in it.
Theses were all new recipes to me, salt and pepper squid, crispy chilli beef with broccoli, and fish fragrant aubergines.
Doing more than one dish does take a bit of planning, to get them all served hot at once, but it's not too difficult.
The aubergines were kept on a low flame, and the squid went in a low oven to keep warm, so it was really just the rice and beef I had to coordinate.
I used mushrooms in place of the minced pork in the aubergine dish, as I wanted one dish to be meat free.  I've frozen some of this so we'll see how it holds up.
We both loved all of them, Niamh's favourite was the beef, mine was the aubergines.  It's so deeply savoury, and salty, and spicy.  It's one of the best things I've eaten all year, One of the others being another Chinese dish-mapo tofu which I'll blog soon.
Niamh was a bit freaked out by the squid tentacles, I've cooked squid before, but never the tentacles.  One taste though and she was hooked.
Strangely, she's never been keen on it from the takeaway, but loves mine.
That's my girl!



1 comment:

  1. mmmmm I jsut read the method for the aubergine dish and my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete