Monday 15 October 2012

Lentil, mushroom and cheese plait.

Someone who posts on a food forum I use had made a loaf this week based on this wellington.
I liked the sound of it, but of course didn't make it at all, but it did inspire me to make a vegetarian plait.
I made this up as I went along.
I fried a finely chopped onion, until soft but not brown, added in red lentils (no idea of quantities, I go by eye) and veg stock from a cube, and cooked until the lentils are soft and the mixture is thick and spreadable.
I spread this on a sheet of ready rolled puff pastry, cut to plait, instructions here.
Over this, I added sliced button mushrooms, softened in oil and some fresh thyme, and then topped with a layer of grated, mature cheddar.
The plait was formed, brushed with egg wash and cooked at 180 for around half an hour.
I served this with some roast cherry tomatoes.
It was really tasty, and very cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment